Friday, August 28, 2015

Kit + even more stuff.


In front is my current kit. I will not normally carry around two meters and two bottles of test strips, but for right now I am using up the old while also using the new one that sends results directly to the pump. In the kit I've also got my lancet device (finger stabber), extra lancets (You're supposed to use a new one every time. I try to switch it every other time.), my insulin pen, needles for the pen, an extra battery for the meter, notes, plus I usually have an actual pen and a log book.

What I'm going to need to add is at the back. Starting from the very back: my insulin vial. I did make some foam holders for my vials years ago, so in those, they'd take up about half the space. To the right are the glucose tabs, which are usually in my kit when I don't have two meters to carry around. To the right of that are two plastic snack bags. I use those to store waste, and I separate sharps from trash so I can easily dump them into the appropriate container. Some of this new waste is recyclable, which is awesome, but I'm not thrilled about needing to 1) upgrade to sandwich bag size or 2) put it all in one bag to sort at home.

Next is the inserter box with the inserter sitting to the left of it- the blue and white toilet bowl looking thing. That's the spring loaded thing I put against my skin that attaches the infusion set to me. I need to keep this clean, so it needs to go in a sealable container- some kind of small box. The black piece to its left is a lock for the top of the pump. I switch that out with the belt clip, depending on whether the pump is clipped to my clothing or in my pocket. I will probably settle mostly on using one over the other, but for now I am changing them out all the time. The belt clip is obviously much bigger.

To the left are two reservoirs. The needle to draw the insulin out of the vial is already attached to these- that's the blue part. To the left is an unopened quick-set. The top blue piece is the needle guard (and what got trapped in my pants yesterday). The needle doesn't stay in me- it goes in, pops out, and leaves the cannula behind. The open quick-set at the bottom right shows off the tubing and the part that attaches to the reservoir. The other end is where it attaches to the cannula- that's the part where I put it on and off. Don't worry- I'll give you more graphic pictures of that later.

To the left you'll see a nickel, which is what I use to open the belt clip/pocket locks. They warn specifically not to use a butter knife, etc., and I need my quarters for laundry, so I'm starting to stash nickels all over the place. The two clear plastic circles are essentially shower caps. It looks exactly like the attachment part, just without the tubing. When I go to take a shower, I remove the attachment part of the tubing and the pump, and put this cap on to protect the port. Again, I'll show you later.

The blue Y thing is a capped used needle. This contraption is originally part of the quick-set. Once the needle part gets removed, you push one arm up and the other arm surrounds the needle, bends it over, and it locks closed. That will go in my sharps baggie. Finally, a battery, but I'm supposed to carry two- a backup for my backup, as the trainer said. After yesterday's mishaps, I see why.

I'll have more freedom through being tethered to a machine and carrying around twice the amount of stuff. I may have found a new example of situational irony.


I have the Nissan of Reno song stuck in my head, so I need to go cleanse my soul with pop music and coupons at Kohl's. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't find any pants I want to try on.

No comments:

Post a Comment