Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Right where he's supposed to be.

I can't stop laughing.  It's a low, evil chuckle, but with a little empathy too.

I came home today and found a folder laying on the couch labeled "Anthony P".  I dug right in, eager to finally see some classwork.  No classwork, sadly, but it did contain an outdated schedule and several outdated announcements obviously intended for us.  Between the brads were five weekly progress reports. Two were signed by me, only... hey, wait a minute...

Aww, Ant's first forgery!

I said nothing.  I waited until past 10, when Ant was out cold and Chris and I were alone.  I handed him the folder and he said Ant brought it to him this afternoon and asked him to sign what must be the most recent progress report.  He couldn't tell because form was completely blank.  Chris told Ant he wasn't going to sign an empty form, so I guess that's where it ended.  I flipped through the other forms and waited.

"He forged your signature.  He forged your signature?"

I nodded and he grabbed the folder and got up.  I had to stop him from confronting Ant with the evidence out of a dead sleep!  As I got ready for bed I remembered the Roseanne episode where Darlene repaired her report card.  I told Chris to go through the folder with Ant tomorrow- ask him to explain the progress reports and what the check marks mean.  Make him sweat a little.  I bet he won't come clean if I'm not there.

Chris said he's going to explain what forgery is and why it's wrong.  I'm sure there will be more involved and he's going to have to tell his teacher.

This is a weird rite of passage- you have to get in trouble for this at least once in life, hopefully in childhood.  This is where the chuckling comes in.  Been there, done that, but we can't give him a free pass!  What a strange position to be in.  And here comes adolescence.

No comments:

Post a Comment