Sunday, April 7, 2013

Puzzles

I haven't seen my neighbor in a while. I keep seeing the woman he lives with, and her daughter- I always had the impression that it was her daughter, not his. I have a lot of neighbors that I rarely see, but I always see the dog owners, so it was weird not to see his dog. Today there was a U-Haul outside and I was disappointed to see things being carried out from his place. Later on, I saw him and asked if he was moving. "I am, yeah," he said a little bitterly. "Already did." This neighbor has always been so friendly and happy- it was sad to see him upset.

I think about his relationship ending as I work my King Kong puzzle. I finished all the identifiable pieces, got through the solid white, and all that's left is the solid black. This is the second hardest part- the hardest being after you have exhausted the border and any obvious sections and are left feeling overwhelmed with no idea where to start next. But how do you do a puzzle? One piece at a time. Eventually, you find something to work on and even where you'll go next, and pick up the pace. Towards the end, though, it slows again for those unhelpful pieces and you keep trying to fit the wrong piece in. Even when you've already tried it and you know it doesn't fit, you think it should and the puzzle just doesn't know it's supposed to go there. Hopefully sooner than later, you stop trying to make it fit and go work on something else.

Goodbye, nice neighbor with your lovely, happy dog. Good luck with your puzzle.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment