Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Book Review (Or: Oh, Was I Supposed to Be Doing Something?)

Tomorrow I am going to talk to this year's apprentice class about writing.  I have a lot that I would like to say in a concise manner, which means I need to be practicing and editing, but so far this evening I have been unable.  What could possibly keep me from preparing for such a neat and fun opportunity?  A book.

I suppose that's appropriate, but JEEE-ZUS, what a book.  Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer.  Go buy it, because you can't have mine.  I'm not even done with it yet, and it's already in my top ten favorites EVER.  I have been having terrifying dreams all night long about this book for several days, but oh my god, is it worth it.  There is a big difference between researching and writing about an event and actually living through it.  I had some idea about what happened- I'd seen some survival show, did some Wikipedia-ing (which is where I learned of this book, I think), and even watched a movie about it (which I do not recommend).  I suggest that you read nothing of it before you read this book.  I have been a fan of disaster stories for... ever, and perhaps some of you are not because they are so intense and scary, but I occasionally read historical fiction and science fiction and Shakespeare and instructional manuals, so you can read one killer (sorry) disaster book.Seriously- I finally located my bookmark on the floor where I dropped it and realized I hadn't stopped reading through a half hour dog walk, emptying the dishwasher, and making dinner.  I burned my fingers carrying the garlic toast rather than putting the book down to find a plate.

I need to get some thoughts out so I can feed my animals and get my talk out of the way so I can read more.  Seriously- I finally located my bookmark on the floor where I dropped it and realized I hadn't stopped reading since I got home- through a half hour dog walk, emptying the dishwasher, making dinner, and eating it.  I burned my fingers carrying the garlic toast rather than putting the book down long enough to find a plate.

Krakauer reaches the summit, but notes that "...the summit was really only the halfway point."
The summit is reached halfway through the book, and I love that physical connection.  I'm struck by that in an uncoincidental way, but also because 1) this clearly indicates that it will not be a quick descent and 2) isn't the summit always just the halfway point?  I always think about this in terms of a musician's rise to fame- they didn't start there, and they won't end there.

Also, there are two major life lessons not meted out, but evidenced.  One is that in the end and along the way, no one else is ultimately responsible for your safety, no matter who or how much you pay.  In situations that are no one's and everyone's fault, you may have to do all kinds of crazy things that you did not sign up for just to get out alive.  If you are extremely fortunate, you may have help, which is why the other lesson in here is about morality.  History will judge you by your humanity, not your accomplishments.  That sounds all cheesy and philosophical, but as you read about these very real life examples, you will be hard-pressed to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment