Friday, November 25, 2016

Discombobulator

Mom came for a short visit a couple weeks ago. We kept it low key but still managed to fit plenty in, and I subjected her to a tennis lesson, dinner with friends, and a meeting with my mentor. We walked around downtown and checked out the art museum, went out for dinner, lunch, breakfast, froyo, iced tea, and groceries. She made the most delicious meal I have eaten in memory- baked chicken, roasted squash and carrots, and steamed fresh green beans. I threw in a couple frozen wheat rolls.

Tonight I tried making that meal on my own, seasoning the chicken ahead of time and roasting delicata squash instead of the one she made. I sliced the squash too thin or cooked it too long, but I like the crispy ones anyway. My meal was not ready together, so I ate at the counter while working on the next part and doing dishes- jesus god, so many dishes- but I cooked and even roasted the squash seeds and found that yep, they are tasty and I will eat those.

I bought my few groceries at Trader Joe's and I can't wait to try roasted Brussels sprouts. I bought more of the dang apples she loves so much and felt like maybe I can cook and eat more produce after all.

I barely left the apartment this weekend- I was struck down with the curse and was too in pain to go anywhere. I started listening to the first Game of Thrones book and I am burning through it. It's nice to be sucked into a book. Feels like it doesn't happen often enough.

I'm ready for tomorrow and the rest of the week but ready for a change. I feel bored. I got the word that I made it into the next level of the leadership programs, and that is going to have me very busy, plus there is a lot of baking I'd like to do. But you know... that's not the kind of excitement I want. But oh well. I'm going to have to take care of what's in front of me.

I got my new tennis shoes again- had to exchange them for a smaller size. I definitely should have tried them on somewhere first.

Alright, that's about as constructed as this one's gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment