Tuesday, May 9, 2017

At least one

I just got home from a date. It went very well- he was nice and carried on a good conversation, had a sense of humor and a very cute smile. It went on too long, but that's a good sign. I was thinking about about looking for love as a middle aged kook and my mind immediately rushed back to high school and reading Cynthia Rylant's A Couple of Kooks.

At 16, I only understood love as the Romeo and Juliet kind, but Cynthia Rylant wrote about quiet love that surprises more like a plant sprouting in the garden overnight than anything desperate and chaotic like earthquake shocks. Her characters knew they were too old or too young or too plain for love but it showed up anyway, somewhere in the everyday like at the drugstore, and she told their stories as if she was waiting in line that day and was just observant enough to notice it happening.

I remember reading these stories and thinking this was the only kind of love I ever wanted- warm and earnest and unexpected and imperfect, but as real and odd as shower caps or canned peas. I don't know if this guy is the right kind of kook for me, and there really isn't anything to do but to find out, but for the first time since I started dating, I feel like I'm finally starting to find some kooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment