Sunday, June 28, 2020

Know when to fold 'em

The most optimistic thing I saw today was a woman walking two pit bulls on retractable leashes.

Gus and I took a very long walk. He likes to take me all the way to the park before deciding he's too tired to walk home. I was thinking recently about how long and exhausting our first year was together until I got with his program. He behaves SO WELL when I give him exactly what he wants. Thankfully his wants are pretty reasonable:
Meals on time
At least one long daily walk
60% directional authority over those walks
Snuggles
Friends
Protection from the dishwasher 
Pats
Freedom to wander the apartment 
Elevator service


In return, he puts up with: 
Injections in the neck
A rotating assortment of medications and supplements
Car rides
Nail trims
Occasionally having to ride in the laundry basket or other undignified transportation 
Never getting doggy treats or rawhides 
Wearing belly bands or the blind dog halo in public
Unexpected shoes, papers, and grocery bags in his path
Having a front end that's shorter than his back end

No comments:

Post a Comment