Saturday, June 4, 2011

Horribly Timed Euphemism

So Ant and I got in the Dodge to run some errands and pick up Bubba.  We hit Blockbuster and then McDonalds so I could get my Diet Pepsi fix.

"Jenny?  Can I get a milkshake?" Ant asked sweetly.

Of course, soft food diet boy.  I asked him what kind of milkshake he thought Bubba would like and we cruised through the drive thru.

On our way to Bubba's house we talked about him growing up.  I told him I wanted him to remain 7 years old so I could figure out how to do this parent thing.  He promised me that that wasn't going to work and soon he'd be coming home, going to his room, doing his homework and then staring at the ceiling or whatever teenagers do for hours and hours.  We talked about his girlfriend.  I told him I didn't want him hiding that stuff from me so I would try very hard not to make him feel like he can't tell me.  He told me that it really wasn't anything to worry about because it's not like he's making out with them.  Not like his friend Andrew who is destined for juvie.  I told him he was fine, he wasn't doing anything wrong, but that making out is not all that far away.  I remind him all the time that Chris became a dad at 17, and volunteered to be a dad at 15, and I just don't want that for him.  Neither does Chris.  "I don't either," he said.

Then he pointed to his milkshake and said, "Where did my cherry go?  My cherry just suddenly disappeared!"

Oh... god...

I just stared through the windshield for a few moments wishing I had someone to share a look with.

Then we went to pick Bubba up and Rufino already knew what happened to Ant.  Apparently when the school was trying to get a hold of Chris they called Elaine, which I knew about, and Rufino, which I did not.  They did not call me or the house.  Chris would have woken up if they'd called the house.  Rufino said he'd come to get Ant, but he was not on the pickup list.  I'm not sure why not, because he's supposed to be.  They told Rufino they'd call Grandma since she was on the list.  "She's in Topaz," he said.

I am very confused as to why
1) The school never called me
2) The school did not have the house number and
3) Why Rufino wasn't allowed to come get Ant.

We have to fill out emergency contact forms at the beginning of every school year.  Elaine told me the school said they tried the house phone, but it was disconnected.  The phone was not disconnected, they had the wrong number.  I wish I found this out sooner but I will be at the school as soon as possible to correct all this misinformation.  I know Chris's cell is the MAIN emergency number but we are supposed to have many contingency plans in place, including Rufino.  I remember filling all this out again for 5th grade- where the hell did all that go?

I will be sure to insert myself as Emergency Contact #2, and this means that I will be keeping my phone on and nearby during class.

No comments:

Post a Comment