Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'll see your grad-student-insanity workload and raise you Jenny determination.

It must be a full moon because... it is.  Sorry, I've been reading Steve Martin's book Born Standing Up.  One of my favorite parts so far is his favorite joke from a vaudeville star's performance:

"One day he brought his trick violin to the store to share with this sixteen-year-old boy.  He flicked a hidden switch, and I watched as the violin changed into a colorful bouquet of feather-flowers.  Nice, but then he showed me his opening joke: He walked from behind the counter and stood on the floor of the magic shop, announcing, 'And now, the glove into dove trick!'  He threw a white magician's glove into the air.  It hit the floor and lay there.  He stared at it and then went on to the next trick."

And I can't stop giggling.

Steve Martin is a smarty-pants, which can be obnoxious at times, but he's a pretty funny guy.  I couldn't stand Shopgirl and refused to watch the movie.  It grossed me out that he cast himself opposite Claire Danes even if the story was about a May-December relationship.  It struck me as horribly self-indulgent. But I LOVED The Pleasure of My Company.  It is in my top 5 books and L.A. Story is in my top 5 movies.  But Jennyway, where the hell was I going with this?

Ah.  It must be a full moon because I just tackled a big project.  Two lingering projects, actually.  This class may require too much but I don't care- I am going to keep up with my non school-related reading and I will finish the leftover projects before the fall semester starts.  Only not right now.  I'm tired and I need to go blog.  But tomorrow!  Tomorrow I will resume accomplishing all sorts of impressive feats.  So there, class.  So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment