Friday, August 5, 2011

The kind of amusement that gets old quickly

I actually thought I would make progress on my paper tonight.

I am hosting Bubba for what I thought was one night but they have informed me that Bubba is actually staying all weekend.  I am waiting for confirmation on that, but it would be interesting to be the last one to find out.  I am already not amused.  If that's the case, I think Chris will be getting them out of my hair for several hours tomorrow so I can do homework.

I think it's a lost cause tonight, but maybe I can conk out, wake up early tomorrow, and get some work done before anyone else is up.

I just got interrupted again because Ant was digging through Chris's studio.  He's looking for the TV that was once in his room so they could watch a movie.  As I called to the boys, Bubba answered:

"Yes, Mother that I always wish I had but can't?"

Now I can only sit here in silence, contemplating that comment.  Okay, it's not in silence- who am I kidding, there are two boys who only stop moving when asleep.  But wow...

Of course, when he said that, my heart melted and I went to hug him and tell him I love him.

"I know," he said.  "Everyone loves me who knows me."

Then I walked into Ant's room and had a minor coronary.

"Fix this.  Fix this now."

They cleaned up the avalanche, I brought in the TV, made popcorn.  I have my water and

Goddammit, I keep getting interrupted.

I spent the evening listening to these boys talk about zombies.  This is a serious discussion that includes periodic slapping and violent sound effects.

"How many zombies can you kill, max?" asks Bubba.

"Probably forty," says Ant.


I really don't get people's fascination with zombies.  Tonight I realized it must be that everyday people stand a chance against a zombie, as opposed to a vampire or werewolf or whatever other nonexistent creatures... we may... end up fighting some day?  I am still confused on that part of the fascination, obviously.

I took them to get a movie and cheap pizza and had this conversation:

"Jenny, how late can we stay up?"

"What do you think I'm going to say?"

"Four?"

"What?  No, what do you think I'M going to say."

"Oh, wait.  You don't care how late we stay up as long as we're quiet."

"Bingo."


During dinner, Ant starting imitating the MadTV "Can I Have Your Number?" skit, which some people find hilarious.  He kept it up for a full half hour and Bubba kept telling him to stop.  When that didn't work, Bubba would start slapping him in the face.  Then they would wrestle and screech like monkeys.  Whenever they'd stop wrestling, they'd giggle and catch their breath.  Then Ant would turn to Bubba and say:

"Can I have your number?"

No comments:

Post a Comment