Sunday, June 16, 2013

Apathetic Movie Blog

My errands ended a little later than expected because it's summer and I don't pay attention to the clock anymore. I put in Broken City at 9:00- what, did I think that my awake hours would change just because it's a weekend?

Mark Wahlberg plays a detective who gets in trouble for shooting somebody and has to go be a private detective. He doesn't charge people up front, and nobody wants to pay up after they find out they're being cheated on. He gets beaten up all the time and somehow he's survived like this for seven years. His girlfriend is a ridiculously beautiful actress who doesn't really love him and- surprise!- cheats on him with her creepy indie co-star. See, he's this tough guy who's actually a real sweetheart and everybody takes advantage of him... so... his normal role. This is supposed to be one of those complicated crime dramas that involves big business deals and corruption at the highest levels. I started dozing and missing whole scenes. From what I did see, the mayor's doing bad things, the chief of police is shady, the other candidate for mayor doesn't want to talk about what his campaign manager was up to, the mayor's wife is involved... Mark finally meets up with Catherine Zeta-Jones and she says she already gave him a chance to get out. Oh, must have missed that part too.

"What's going on? Just tell me what is going on!" he kept whining at her. Indeed. But actually, you know what? This made me think about all those 80s cop movies with corruption and cryptic characters and big, secret business deals. Those managed to be just as cheesy and still more convincing. Nevermind, I don't care what's going on.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment