Friday, June 7, 2013

Five Star Movie Alert

I just watched what is the best movie I've seen in a long time (other than the ones that I like to watch over and over again). It's called Sleepwalk With Me, and it's about a guy in a long term relationship who starts doing standup comedy and sleepwalking. I should say he learns how to do standup. It's great because unlike all these weird little indies that are weird for weirdness sake and still star beautiful people and end pretty much like the big movies do, this one is genuinely weird, because this one's true. But it's not weird in a fucked up, Clockwork Orange kind of way, it's fucked up in a real and relatable way - which is not only more interesting, it's really engaging.

Did I mention that Ira Glass produced it and co-wrote the screenplay?

It has such an NPR feel: a really interesting and crazy story. You can tell the characters aren't made up because the dialogue rings true. That was kind of startling because sometimes movies get close to that, but it's never right on like the narrator's got his parents down. It's funny even when it's sad just like those best parental intentions that come across as harsh or insane. Of course, it's much funnier to watch that play out in someone else's family.

I'm a sucker for nonfiction, I'll admit that. But I think this was a great story, and at the end I was part of the audience at the comedy clubs, listening to his actual act and laughing a deeper laugh- the kind you share with a close friend. I laughed not the way you feel obligated to at a comedy show, but because I couldn't help myself.

This and City Lights are my favorite movies I've watched so far this year. Well done.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment