Wednesday, February 23, 2011

HGTV

I don't have a favorite tv show- there's nothing that I can't miss.  I tend to meander, watching an episode or two of something and sometimes I get hooked on a channel for a while.  The only thing in common is that I like reality shows.  I think that reflects my recent change to nonfiction (not that nonfiction equals exact truth either).

Jennyway, my recent go-to channel, especially during my recovery, has been HGTV.  The show I can't stop watching is House Hunters.  The buyers look at three houses and pick one.  I love listening to what people say they want and then watching them choose something totally different.  I NEVER choose the right one.

The aggravating (and mildly pleasing) part is learning what people look at when they tour these houses.

"Ugh," they say, "That light fixture is ugly."

They don't like white cabinets.  The carpet is old.  The appliances aren't stainless steel.  There's wallpaper or they don't like the paint color.  Or my personal favorite: the hardware on the cabinets is outdated.

I am appalled!  What about the roof, the water heater?  Why aren't they asking questions about the things they can't change?  Paint?  Really?

Before I started watching this show, I didn't understand the need for shows like Curb Appeal or Ready to Sell or whatever they're called.  But now I know that people really do get stuck on stupid things.  I think this could be a benefit to me if I'm able to see past what I can afford to change to what I can't.

The other maddening feature of this show (I really enjoy getting riled up by this) is how awful and obnoxious buyers can be.  They're busy criticizing the current owner's taste rather than the house itself.  And the things they say to the realtors!  It always seemed to me like realty was a good business to get into because they seem to make decent money quickly, but from what I see here, they put up with a lot of bullshit and seriously bad manners.

No comments:

Post a Comment