Saturday, June 18, 2011

Rough Night

Last night I went to pick Chris up from the ballpark where he was doing sound at the Freighthouse.  Apparently it's a pretty popular place to hang out, even if no games are on.

I got there around 2:45am and pulled over to pick him up.  There were four cop cars ahead of me trying to remove some drunk guy who was resisting arrest.  Chris said goodbye to the Freighthouse owner and came over to the Dodge.  He put his stuff into the back and opened the passenger door.  There was a loud bang.

"What was that?" I asked.

"That dude just got shot," said Chris.  People started running in both directions.  Chris ducked behind the Dodge and told me to get down.  I wondered how I would convey this to the dogs, who were perked up and watching everything.  It was rather disconcerting to watch the cops react to something going on behind me.

There was only the one shot, and that was for Brandon Wimberly, a wide receiver for the UNR football team.  We only found that out about an hour ago.

Nevada tells football players to cooperate with Reno police in investigation of wide receiver shooting

He got shot in the torso and is recovering in the hospital.  It was the result of some fight between Wolf Pack players and some other group the police hasn't found yet.  Chris saw him fall and when we drove away, all we saw were his unmoving shoes.

The athletic director is asking the players to cooperate because apparently they are not.  That implies some problems...

I'm amazed that 1) people let arguments get that out of hand, 2) somebody had the balls to use a gun that close to that many cops and 3) that many cops- and all the others that showed up- didn't find the silver car.

No comments:

Post a Comment