Sunday, December 30, 2012

One word makes all the difference

This was Riley- all day long.

I think you were right, Tracy. She must have focused on that key word because she stopped doing panicked laps after I told her we were going home. She started that up immediately at 5:30 this morning on the freeway in the dark when all the lights and signs were still blurry. I had a sleepiness and exhaustion that I did not have Monday and thought I would not be able to contend with her pacing all day. I was using all the same soothing words to comfort her that I had on Monday, but this time I could say we were going home. She looked at me, laid down, and stayed put the whole trip. She looked out the window and sometimes napped, and was the delight of many other drivers.

At home, she ran in to greet the cat, flopped onto a pillow, and sighed. Then she played with her new toy (a Christmas present from Pop) and went to bed. I wasn't far behind her.

I took a loooooooong nap and now I'm ready for a small dinner, a shower, and bed again. I made the trip in ten hours, which is what google clocked, but straight through. I made three stops and hauled ass. I'm glad I left so early- it started snowing around all the Donner-related areas (Really, every time I'm up there in the winter, I think those people were crazy to try to cross the mountains so late in the year. Batshit.) It was around 2:30-3, but the trees provided a lot of shadows and the melting snow was running across the road. As soon as the sun was down, that would all become ice. But the freeways were in good shape, no restrictions, and the side streets were still ok.

Well, that was an adventure. Thank god I have Tuesday off.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment