Sunday, December 2, 2012

Rainy Sunday

I am exhausted.

After that hour walk this morning, I took Jody out Christmas shopping. Then I let Riley out and went to Kohl's.

I've been looking through my closet for all those large shirts that I

That's how far I made it last night before I fell asleep.

What I was trying to explain is that there is a brand of shirts at Kohl's that I really like- good colors, neat details. I started buying those in extra large and was very happy until I found one at a thrift store that was a beautiful heather blue... but large. I bought it anyway and learned that it fit better. Oh. Hmm. Maybe this is related to the broken bra problem.

So I headed to Kohl's armed with a 20% off coupon and I found that the clearance was marked down EVEN FURTHER. Now it's 85-90% off. I made my selections and went to the fitting room where I sadly tried on a medium in a shirt that I really liked because they did not have it in large. It fit.

Suddenly, I was faced with a problem. Am I supposed to be wearing medium? What if they shrink? What am I supposed to do with all these larges? I have about 200 shirts in my cart- Just try them on if you like them, don't look at the price yet- How am I going to go deposit them in front of the poor fitting room girl?

"Soooooo, nothing worked?" she'll ask.

"No, sorry, all the wrong size. I'm learning how to shop for myself."

The worst part was going back through the entire clearance section because there was new criteria now. I was pretty over it by then, and I'm sure most people would give up, but I am my mother's daughter and these were not deals I could walk out on. Two fitting room trips later, I had twelve new shirts, most for about $3 each. I did allow myself a couple splurges- splurges that my entire family would roll their eyes at because they think it doesn't count as a splurge if it's a reasonable price. For example, my big splurge was a $15 pullover that looks much nicer than the zippies I've been wearing to work. I added it all up, decided I had room to spare and headed to Jewelry. Silver jewelry is 60% off. It's a sign!

A few years ago, I was at Bloomies with Mom and Tracy and found necklaces with little good luck charms: a four-leaf clover, a horseshoe, a wishbone, a star...  The pendants were silver, but hung on a string. The accompanying card said you were supposed to make a wish, put on the necklace, and eventually the string would break, your pendant would fall off somewhere, and this meant that your wish was coming true!

Well, that's stupid. The first thing I would do is put that sucker on a real chain.

And what did I find last night? A delicate little chain with clover and wishbone pendants so you can switch between them. And yes, I should probably make a wish because this chain is so tiny that it will probably break, dropping my wishbone somewhere.

When I got home, I didn't want to stand up anymore. I took Riley out, made meatloaf, shoved Riley's pill down her throat (The pain pills are done and she's becoming a pro with the antibiotics.), then went to put away my new clothes. I took out more than one shirt for every one I put in. And Kohl's says I saved $304.28, so I'm feeling pretty awesome.

For dinner, I found out that lima beans have carbs. It's a bean, and beans have carbs, so that makes me a ding-dong, but I don't think I made that connection before. Oops. I'm writing down everything I eat, which is SO enjoyable. It has me wishing longingly for the days when all I had to do was find my kit, test, argue with the meter's error message, test again, work an equation in my head, measure insulin and stab myself with a syringe.

It's 9:15, which means I have stayed in bed for an extra three hours. I woke up at 6, but was able to get back to sleep, thankfully. Now I'm rested and ready for a day of housecleaning, movies, projects, and watching the rain. Can't wait to drag Riley out in this. Right now she's under the covers, curled up by my knees, making little huffing movements as she dozes. Solo is up at my shoulder, waiting for me to nuzzle her. I'm about to wake them both up and go make an exploding egg sandwich.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment