Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The First Long Day

I walked into the Black Rock Press at 9:25, twenty minutes before class started.  Only there were people in there already.  Quiet.  Listening to the teacher.  It's funny how confusion sets in first instead of anything logical.  I thought I had interrupted another class.

"Oh," I said.

"What class are you looking for?" the teacher asked.

"Book making."

"That's us."

"9:45?"

"9:00," he replied.

"Oh no!"  Damn damn damn!  How did I mess that up?  Stupid ePAWS...

"Did you get lost?" he asked.

"Nope," I said proudly.  Big dummy.

I sat down and whipped out my class schedule from ePAWS.  9:00-11:45.  Shit.


The teacher seems very nice and I was excited to learn that we will be doing more than just the one book.  There are two smaller projects first.  Whew!  After a lot of talking through the syllabus, rules, schedule, history, etc., he showed us some examples of student work and special editions and some of the neat things you can do with paper.  Then he made a proof and set up the press, tested it a couple times and ended the class by letting us each run a copy.  Here's mine:



That's a neat way to start the class, huh?

The second class started at 1 and I made it there on time, but I forgot my book.  Thankfully I didn't need it.  That's the proposal writing class and I was really not looking forward to it.  I was very intimidated by both classes but I feel much better now.  I know a very nice girl in the class who was in my nonfiction class last semester- that always helps- but the teacher introduced the class in a very welcoming way.  She essentially said Do Not Be Afraid.  We'll be working for a nonprofit (Reno Bike to Work Week) and she emphasized it would look great on a resume.  Duly noted.  After that we'll be doing our own proposals for whatever we need them for.  Grad school applications?  Grants?  Hmm.

After waiting in a huge line at the bookstore I STILL had a three hour wait until the next class.  Yes, I did homework.  Let's hope I keep that up.  The last class was Art History.  Yeah.

Now I'm going to go curl up in my room and see if I can't find some Forensic Files or Cupcake Wars on TV.  I won't be asleep by 9, but maybe by 9:25.  Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment