Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It's still Wednesday, though.


I was talking to John, a coworker/sometime supervisor- one of the people who interviewed me, the one who encouraged me to apply for the apprentice program, and my constant champion.  I was telling him how I had gone to HR and got my promotion in the works, and we talked about me finding another job.  He said he knew that this should only be a starting place for me, and that he’d reminded the boss many times that they would likely not keep me for much more than a year.  I told him I was struggling to stay afloat and that I knew I needed something new to keep my energy up.  “I’m already sagging,” I said.

“You may be sagging according to your standards, but not according to the boss.  You’re still way ahead of most of the people here.”  Well, that’s nice to hear.

 

I found a new app to track my blood sugar!  I tried the most popular one, and it was so complicated- it was a nightmare.  This new one pops up with the cursor ready to record the blood sugar reading.  It automatically records the time and date, but you can edit that if necessary.  It asks you if this reading is before breakfast, after breakfast, etc., but also provides the “other” option.  Then there’s a space for notes, perfect to post how many units of insulin I took and how many grams of carbs I’m eating.  What is fascinating is how simple this app is (compared to the other) and how much information it provides.  The log shows your readings history, as far back as it goes.  The graph is in terms of A1C, and you can change the scale of the graph and scroll through.  Perfect.  Then there’s the tab called Analytics, and wow, was that neat.  It shows- are you ready for this?

Total averages: last 3 months, last week, last 24 hours

Weekday averages: (Am I doing better or worse on the weekends?)

Time of day averages: (Am I waking up high, do I need a snack somewhere?)

Event averages: Averages broken down by before breakfast, after breakfast, etc.

 

Holy cow.  I will have answers when the endocrinologist or pharmacist asks me what my nighttime readings are instead of clicking through my meter and guessing.  There is even a check box to mark if you are sick, since this will affect the readings!  Wow, wow, wow.  For so long I have been struggling to keep track and having to cart around a notebook and trying to log EVERYTHING I DO.  I’m so thrilled that the thought occurred to me to look for an app.  It only took me what, six months of having a smart phone?  I LOVE this, and it will make trends so much easier to see.  Even when I was writing it all down, I would look through the pages and wonder what the hell I was supposed to make of all that.  It’s supposed to be a tool for me, but it was solely an aggravation.  Now I have a sigh of relief.

1 comment:

  1. I know the "waking up high" part is about blood sugar, but I couldn't help thinking that you were smoking pot in your sleep.

    ReplyDelete