Friday, June 28, 2013

Fourth


Conversation with my coworker today:

 

Jenny:  What are you going to do this weekend?


Coworker:  sunday I want to go see World War Z.....


Jenny:  It is awesome.


Coworker:  did you see it????


Jenny:  I did with my dad last weekend.


Coworker:  so these zombies, are they dead or are they diseased people like in I Am Legend


Jenny:  I'm telling you nothing.


Coworker:  JENNNNYYYYYYY dont be mean

 

Jenny:  HAHAHAHAHA

 

So can I confess that I have no plans for July 4th?  I was trying to go to San Diego and drink beer on the water with Dad, but I got denied leave.  Now I’m trying to find a way of going to watch the fireworks.  I spend all my time in Reno and it will be blazing hot this weekend, so I’d like to go to Tahoe, where it’s much cooler.  Plus, their fireworks are awesome.  What we always did was drive to the west side of the lake and find our own little spot and bring the dogs, eat sandwiches, play outdoor games, and wait for the fireworks.  It’s a little remote on that side, but that’s exactly what I want- just an easy place to park, somewhere I can take the dog, somewhere I can put my chair, eat my sandwich, read a book, and try not to drink too much water so I won’t have to pee in front of others.  My fears are that I would run into them doing the same thing and/or being harassed/raped/beaten/mauled by nefarious creatures.  But I could bring my pepper spray to fend off attackers/bears/cheating ex-boyfriends.  I thought I would try a different beach or one of the resorts, but it is SO crowded up there that when the websites recommend getting there early, they mean early morning.  People spend all day there.  I don’t want to spend all day there.  I do want to see the fireworks.

 

I got a brainstorm and checked my meetup groups for activities.  One hiking group has something planned, but that’s the one hiking group I haven’t joined.  I joined (pending approval) and can’t even read the difficulty rating on that until/unless I’m approved.  And from the looks of it, this group is probably not for me.  They like difficult hikes and have a “scrambling rating,” which goes from walking over rough terrain to climbing boulders.  If it’s an easy hike (What they call easy is… not.) then I’ll go, just so I can go do something neat on my own instead of sitting sadly by myself.  Well, I’ll try not to be sad, and I’d bring a happy book.  I want to take Riley, so that means we can’t be right under the fireworks.  Besides, I probably can’t get in close anyway without showing up WAY early and I can’t stand around looking uncomfortable for that long.  Ugh.

 

The other option I can think of is to stay in town and climb Huffaker Hill.  Lots of people go up there to watch the fireworks downtown.  That option does not have the same appeal, but I could bring my chair and my dog, and it wouldn’t take me until 1am to get home.

 

Ideal situation:

 

Drive to Tahoe, find the perfect last parking spot and there are already friendly unfamiliar people there.  They like Riley and offer her cuddles and cookies.  They offer me periodic conversational exchanges, allowing me to be alone while letting me know that they will neither attack me or stand idly by, should I be attacked.  They compliment my excellent taste in books and offer me the use of their vehicle to pee behind.  I feel comfortable enough to say things to them without needing to join them.  I eat a tasty sandwich or cold fried chicken and put my feet into the icy water when I get too warm.  Riley finds sticks to chew on and people find her begging adorable.  The time passes comfortably without sunburn or boredom and the fireworks make me happy.  When the show’s over, I listen to the cheers from around the lake, pack my stuff up, and go listen to NPR in the car for a while, letting the traffic ease up.  When I leave, the tangles are just releasing, and I follow the line of taillights back into Reno.  I get home late, but not too late, and when I wake up in the morning and go to work, I feel refreshed and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment