Saturday, March 8, 2014

Nice at my favorite price.

So I went to Kohl's and- with Tracy's help- found some new things to wear at my new job. I am slowly trying to work on unschlubbing my wardrobe, but I was feeling grossly unprepared. I got a 30% off coupon in the mail and put it to work today. Tracy deemed my haul a good one, and I found clothes I like that are both presentable AND comfy. And neat. They are neat.

This evening, I hit the art museum at 5:15, but dammit, the store was still open. I wandered through the Phyllis Shafer exhibit, which was just beautiful.

http://www.nevadaart.org/exhibitions/detail?eid=268

Here's the one they used to advertise for the exhibit:


Tallac Rex


Here are a couple of the ones I liked very much that were also on her website:

Truckee Cradle
Autumn in Yosemite Valley

And here's my favorite. I'm so glad I could find it online.

Tallac Morning
http://www.phyllisshafer.com/


Can't wait to hear what you think. These don't look like oil paintings, do they?


They also had an exhibit called Maurice Sendak: 50 Years, 50 Works.

http://www.nevadaart.org/exhibitions/detail?eid=260

Part of the room had a large, comfy chair surrounded by low stools and a bookshelf with lots of Sendak stories. I looked, but Higglety Pigglety Pop was not there. I did get to read The Night Kitchen, though. I got to see some really lovely, detailed drawings of Max and his Wild Things, along with characters from other stories, but Max was just fantastic.


Oh, if you could see this one large and up close...


I was hoping for relevant postcards in the gift shop, but all they had were neat and horribly expensive things, that being a requirement for museum gift shops and all. I did get a Phyllis Shafer card and a mini Wild Things activity book, so I'm happy. I may go on the next free Saturday to see these exhibits again!

No comments:

Post a Comment