Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dammit

I did a Google search last night for images to put in my presentation and some scary window popped up and wouldn't let me do anything but click on it.  I rushed to close it and stop the download but I'm afraid I was too late.  I put the download in the trash and emptied it but after that the computer was giving me a lot of beach balls.  I thought maybe it was because I had moved into the bedroom and didn't have good signal but it did again this morning at school, just not as much.  I'm alarmed.  I really don't want to take it to the local Mac "experts".  My old boss doesn't work with Macs.  We don't have a Mac store that I know of.  I wonder if I have to get whatever the problem is fixed before I buy some virus protection.

Yesterday in class we had to sign up for the last round of presentations for Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, and Shabanu, that book I already read, ha ha.  The teacher always gives the sign up sheet to the same girl so she always gets first pick.  I was really hoping to be able to do an author biography because I am very interested in those.  By the time the sheet got to me the only author left was J.M. Barrie.  That was fine by me so I signed up for that and symbols in Peter Pan.  I thought I was being smart because the midterm exam essay was due today and I thought I'd have to weekend to create my presentations.  Instead, last night I got a slow creeping sensation that said Peter Pan was also due today.  I checked the syllabus to quash that idea and ended up confirming it instead.  Nooo!  The syllabus got messed up because she didn't realize Monday is a holiday.  I struggled with the bad news for a little while, but then convinced myself that it was absolutely necessary to finish the presentations too.  At 11:30pm.  Today, sure enough, I was invited to present- AND was the only idiot who volunteered for Peter Pan.  I think I did a decent job on the biography.  My teacher went on and on but she always does, so that doesn't tell me anything.  I wasn't extremely eloquent, operating on not much sleep and lots of Diet Pepsi.  My symbols presentation was especially sad.  It consisted of two slides: a title page with a non-Disney picture of Peter Pan (not an easy task, BTW) and the last page titled Symbols.  I only listed what I figured were symbols and gave no attempt to explain them in the slide.  I did attempt to explain them in class and let the teacher go on and on about each one.  I'd say, "I think Peter Pan represents the inner child." and then she would elaborate for at least ten minutes.  I wasn't too far off in my list.  I did list his shadow as a major symbol, but I had no idea what it symbolized and neither did anyone in the class.  Do you know?  I do now.

So it turned out to be a good thing, I think, to get all that out in one night.  I'm going to go collapse and take a nap when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment