Saturday, May 28, 2011

Super Jenny Strikes Again

Yesterday I helped Chris schlep and set up for his boss (for lack of a better term)'s gig.  He dropped me off at home, where I collected Ant and the dogs.  We drove to the dog park and walked around the lake.  That might sound sad, but my heel is only slightly improved.  Afterwards we came home, deposited the dogs, grabbed the laundry and drove off to the library, then the laundromat.  I was all frugal and brought my stash of quarters from home.  I have a serious love-hate relationship with the Financial Aid office.  At the library we found The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for my Children's Literature class, as it is not in the big book.  Ant got two books, one from that twisted Oz series that he liked so much and another Louis Sachar book.

I think I told you that I made him read There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom for his second book report, right?  He really got into it and asked me to recommend one for his third book report.  I wasn't sure what would be acceptable so I started looking online for 5th grade.  Then Ant told me he's actually at an 8th grade reading level.  How the hell does this system work?  So we were talking about books :D and he wanted to know if the author (Louis Sachar) had written anything else.  Um, yeah!  I reminded him of Holes, which he's read, and Sideways Stories from Wayside School, which is in the bookcase at school.

So back to the library... he really wanted to read both books, but neither would work for his book report, since the Oz book has pictures and he already did one report on Louis Sachar.  He is forced to stick with the book I picked out for his third report: The Hunger Games.  He was frustrated at the slow going but he's picking up speed.  Last night he fell asleep on the couch reading and I had to wake him up to send him to bed.  This morning I found him reading on the couch again.  :D  He asked me if someone carried him to bed last night.  I have never seen anyone respond so poorly to being woken up.  He really doesn't wake up, just wails like a banshee.  Once I finally got him up, I sent him to change into PJs and to brush his teeth.  He went into his room and there was silence... The more I had to call him and redirect him, the crankier he got.  I was relieved when his teeth were finally brushed and he could go to bed.

He's reading in the Pickle Parlor now, chased out of the living room by lack of light.  I know your pain, kid.  I told him that if he got a good chunk finished we could go look at thrift stores for some more pants.  He seemed happy about that, although he couldn't resist hoping that I'd let him out to go play.  Not a chance, kiddo, until this book is done.  Last night he managed to avoid a total meltdown.  He was frustrated that the book started slow, crossed his arms, and started to cry angry tears but I reminded him that this particular method of avoidance was how he got in trouble in the first place.  I promised to crack the whip- that no matter what, he would have to work hard to finish this book on time.  I said I feel angry with myself and frustrated and annoyed when I put off writing a paper but in spite of all those feelings, I write the paper.  Then I made some jokes, he laughed, and actually pulled himself out of the funk and headed back to the book.  Right then I decided that I will take him to the Hunger Games movie when it comes out.  Candy, soda, and popcorn included.

So Jennyway, I kicked some heinie yesterday.  (Hienie?)  Not just Ant's, but I helped Chris, walked the dogs on a busted heel, hit the library and the laundromat, finished in record time- enough to run over to Guitar Center and act as a guard dog over the last karaoke machine until Chris could get there.  (It was for his boss's gig.)  Then I went home, put all the laundry away and cooked dinner.  AND I'm halfway through The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  I also have to read Peter Pan before the quiz on Tuesday and figure out what story I'm going to write for the class and illustrate it.  I figure I should do that this weekend so I can actually sleep this week.  Go Jenny go.

No comments:

Post a Comment