Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Slightly different rules



Another thing that made this show more fun than a normal basketball game was the rule changes.  They added the four-point shot throughout the game, and briefly had two balls in play during the second quarter.  The third quarter was double points and I wasn’t paying attention to whatever the last one was.  This guy in the picture hung back while his teammates were attempting a shot, climbed up on the opposing team’s basket, and when they tried for a basket, he kicked the ball away.  Everyone was watching the action and got a surprise to see him standing up there.  That was funny and provided a good reason for a time out and more silliness.  I loved how they all acted as if such craziness was normal.
 I appreciated the changes- for years I have been yelling about how basketball- a sport that began with peach baskets, and the first team to sink the ball won, and the janitor had to come out with a ladder to retrieve the ball- has become too easy or the players too good, so it’s time to raise the baskets or SOMETHING.  That’s why I always enjoyed the Rock and Jock games on MTV with their ridiculously tall baskets and trampolines.  But anyway, good on them for making it harder, or at least to appear so.
The last thing I want to talk about (poor guys) is the opposing team.  They are clearly part of the show, but I wondered if they are being groomed to become Globetrotters or if they are stuck permanently in a losing role.  (There’s a name for that guy in boxing… if anybody knows that, please tell me.  Google is not helping.)  I’m trying to picture the wanted ad for that job.  “Good at basketball, 3+ years theater experience, willing to always lose…”  These were not terrible basketball players.  They had 118 points the last time I paid attention.  They hit a lot of those 4-point shots too.  And they were reasonable actors.  When the Globetrotters won the “World Championship” (World Championship of what? And how often is this contest held?  Amazing that I just so coincidentally got tickets to it… in Reno…), the “Selects” trotted off the court, not looking disappointed about the game, but with a deeper discontentment than that.  Then again, perhaps they are relieved that they don’t have to stand there “until every single fan that wants to meet the Globetrotters and get an autograph has the chance.”  I’m sure they all hang out together as they surely travel together, but I wonder if they practice together.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.10

No comments:

Post a Comment